I'm a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter, a sister and a follower of Jesus who is learning how to love God and people better. Scroll down to take a look at some of my adventures!

1.06.2010

Honey!

Cough and cold medicine is no longer advised for children under 6. For anyone who has a toddler or preschooler at home who has a bad cough, especially at night while sleeping, this is BAD news. Recently Asante had a bad cough that would wake him up in the middle of the night, so I went looking for an alternative home remedy. I came across honey! (Note: Honey is not recommended for toddlers under 2 years of age because of fear of botulism). I wouldn't recommend local honey for those just over 2- instead, get the one at the store in the bear jar. The chance of bad spores being in a local honey is higher than the big factory honey.

The first night we tried it out, Asante didn't cough. At. All. The second and third night, he may have coughed once, but not enough to wake him up. I was so surprised but excited to find a safe, natural remedy!

I'm becoming attracted to alternative, natural remedies instead of many of the man-made medicines. I'm certainly not against the man-made, but I would like to start trying the natural ones first.

So, I'd encourage you all to give a teaspoon of honey before bed to fight those night time coughs!

1 comments:

Ashley N. said...

So good to know! Storm told me to take the white syrupy stuff once. And it worked. Good advice!