I'm a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter, a sister and a follower of Jesus who is learning how to love God and people better. Scroll down to take a look at some of my adventures!

12.16.2009

Take Your Best Shot by Austin Gutwein

For my first post-semester book, I chose one that I've had around for a couple months now called Take Your Best Shot by Austin Gutwein (yep, that's the founder of Hoops of Hope) and Todd Hillard. It's a young adult book, so it was a very relaxing, quick read that left me encouraged and motivated to do something to help someone. Gutwein and Hillard encourage teenagers to take their best shot at doing something substantial for someone else, all the while weaving in Gutwein's story of how Hoops of Hope came about.

The authors did a great job of emphasizing that although this was one way of helping others, there are many more ways out there for a person to use their interests and skills to advance the Kingdom of God. Each chapter ended with a short reflection on a passage of Scripture and some kind of “put this into practice” suggestion. I think that young adults will connect with the author and be inspired to seek out what God desires for them to do, whether that be big or small.

If you're looking for a book to give a young adult this Christmas season, this would be a great one to encourage generosity and obedience to God!

0 comments: