I'm a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter, a sister and a follower of Jesus who is learning how to love God and people better. Scroll down to take a look at some of my adventures!

1.27.2008

Sex God

The subtitle of Sex God is “Exploring the endless connections between sexuality and spirituality.” I must admit that I wasn’t expecting a whole lot out of this book because I was thinking- any connection between sexuality and spirituality is probably not that important anyway. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the content of this book.

Here’s how he connects sexuality and spirituality- “You can’t talk about sexuality without talking about how we were made. And that will inevitably lead you to who made us. At some point you have to talk about God.”

I agree.

After the fall, we became a disconnected people. Disconnected with the earth. Disconnected with each other. And Disconnected with God. “Our sexuality, ten, has two dimensions. First, our sexuality is our awareness of how profoundly we’re severed and cut off and disconnected. Second, our sexuality is all of the ways we go about trying to reconnect.” Basically, Rob says that our sexuality is redefined as anything that is an attempt to reconnect to the earth, to humanity, and to God.

And that’s where my memories of this book end. Lol. I remember I really liked it, but as I look back on it, everything is very blurry. I thought about not writing a review on this book at all, but I know I need to be exercising my brain in order to get it back to normal (sidenote- I labeled absurd the theory that when you have a baby, it’s like you lose brain cells as well because you become forgetful and you lose your memory—but now I realize how true that is…)

One thing I do remember about the book is thinking that there are a couple groups of people who would really benefit from reading this:

1. People who are addicted to the physical act of sex—whether doing it, or looking at it.
2. Girls who use their bodies to manipulate guys/get attention from men.
3. Girls who really crave affirmation from men.
4. Men who use women to fulfill their needs/wants. Whether those are emotional or physical.

This would be a good book for the permanent bookshelf if one was working with high school or college students for a long period of time.

I need to learn not to doubt Rob Bell ☺.

0 comments: