I'm a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter, a sister and a follower of Jesus who is learning how to love God and people better. Scroll down to take a look at some of my adventures!

5.29.2010

Pondering the Idea of the Oppression of Women in the U.S.

...and I have a hard time really understanding it. Maybe some would blame it on my inability to see outside of my oppressed state. Or maybe it is because not every women or every community sees women as "lesser" than men?

I grew up in a home with a working mom and dad. My dad works out of a local, so he gets called for a job, does it and then sometimes has a week or two or five off before the next job comes along. Because of this, I spent half my year in day care and the other half at home with my dad. Although my mom did a lot of the housework (which she passed on to me when I was old enough), my dad was always busy doing stuff around the house. They did what they were good at, and they did the jobs they wanted to do. My mom and dad both cooked, and both did dishes. My mom controlled the money; my dad controlled the permission. I saw them as different, but neither one as the "ruler of the house." They worked as a team to raise my siblings and I.

Outside of my home, I spent the rest of my time in school and school activities. I was an excellent student and received many awards in math and science in high school. My school had 5 valedictorians, 3 which were female and 2 male. Our gifted classes growing up were made up of girls and boys. Never once did I feel like the boys were given opportunities that I wasn't. I really did feel like I could do whatever I wanted with my life, career wise. I got several scholarships for college, and even got admittance into Mizzou's Law School as a freshmen in college (basically they reserved a spot for me upon graduation). Up until this point in my life, I have made choices and have reaped the consequence for those choices.

...but apparently not every girl/woman has had that opportunity? I'm really sorry about that, and feel bad, but I can't help but think that maybe every woman has not had the disadvantage that many scholars and authors like to highlight. Sure, I had issues with my body and my image growing up. But, so did many of my guy friends. Everyone felt awkward in junior high school and maybe even into high school. Guys didn't starve themselves, but they spent way too much time in the weight room. I think sometimes we forget that guys and girls may have the same issues that manifest themselves in different ways.

Some women have grown up in dysfunctional households where women were seen as the slaves as men. But I wonder how much the norm that is? I honestly don't know either way. I'm just curious. And thankful that I haven't had to deal with this issue very intimately. Most of my pressure in my life has come from other girls who were jerks and put me down because of my looks or whatever. Hardly ever have I felt disdain or condescending attitudes from men. I KNOW IT HAPPENS. Again, I'm just wondering if we highlight the times it DOES happen because we want to prove a point.

So, I'd be interested to know if any other women out there have had the same experience as me? If so, tell us about it! And if you haven't had the same experience, tell us too!

Next Post: Women's Choices

2 comments:

Bld424 said...

Wow, we have such similar biographies. Except I was selected for Med School as a freshman, not Law. And I didn't go there... neither did you! And we are still finding the path to our ideal careers as 27 year olds. And we've been married for 5 years. And we didn't feel opressed and didn't see our moms as Mom=Home.

Ariah said...

I rambled enough on your other posts, I'll just say, thanks for sharing your story a bit here.