I'm a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter, a sister and a follower of Jesus who is learning how to love God and people better. Scroll down to take a look at some of my adventures!

3.12.2010

The disease of busyness

In my classes, we've been talking about different areas of leadership. Somehow the conversations seem to always get back to a few topics for my classmates:

1. Life is busy. I can't keep up. I don't have time to slow down. I have no time to commune deeply and meaningfully with friends on a weekly basis. I don't have time to fully invest in the life of my child(ren).

2. I lack a daily conversation with God. I don't have time to be filled up. I often feel like I have nothing to give others. My personal time with God can easily become non-existent.

How in the world does this happen? And why do we keep telling each other "it's okay; life is just busy, it'll get better"?!

It won't get better unless something changes.

We seem to run around doing all of these "great things" in order to prove to ourselves and others that we're worthy. We feel better about ourselves when we're doing so many great things.

Busyness is not okay when it leaves us spiritually empty.
Busyness is not okay when it leaves us habitually prayerless.
Busyness is not okay when it leaves us separated from our closest community.
Busyness is not okay when it leaves us neglecting our spouses or children.
Busyness is not okay when it leaves us burnt-out.
Busyness is not okay when it leaves us no room to serve others on a regular (daily?!) basis.
Busyness is not okay when it leaves us viewing people in need of a listening ear or a lending hand or a prayer as interruptions in our busy schedule.
Busyness is not okay when it leaves us unwilling/unable to Sabbath.

Do you have anything to add to this list? Unless we're willing to change the pace of our lives and who/what we're living for, busyness is going to continue to eat us alive.

0 comments: