I'm a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter, a sister and a follower of Jesus who is learning how to love God and people better. Scroll down to take a look at some of my adventures!

10.31.2008

Homeland and Other Stories

What a fun treat to get an opportunity to read some fiction! Homeland, a collection of short stories all dealing with familial issues and life choices, was written by Barbara Kingsolver. I was first introduced to Kingsolver’s writing through The Poisonwood Bible, and fell in love with it. Homeland is only the second book I’ve read by her, and although it wasn’t as good as the former, I still enjoyed it.

The twelve stories were written from the perspectives of young and old, city folk and deep country bumpkins. Some were easier to get into than others, but by the end of each of them, you were engaged in the characters. I always find it amazing that writers of short stories can do that, considering you don’t have a whole lot of time to get invested. If you’re looking for an easy read to pick up over the holidays, this would be a good one since it deals with the various things that families go through.

0 comments: