I'm a wife, a mom, a friend, a daughter, a sister and a follower of Jesus who is learning how to love God and people better. Scroll down to take a look at some of my adventures!

6.22.2007

Organic Baby: Simple Steps for Healthy Living

This was an unexpected read. I was at the public library, looking for a different book, and this one was on the new release shelf. I had a few minutes to wait while Jake was upstairs looking for a different book, so I sat down in a comfy chair, cracked it open and began perusing. I didn't get very far before Jake was done, and as I went to put it back, Jake suggested I check it out-- why not? So, that's what I did.

This book is very aesthetically pleasing. I love the graphics, the colors, the feel, etc. But you know what your momma always told you-- don't judge a book by its cover.

This book had some great information for those people who really want to have a sterile, healthy environment for their baby. I guess I do too, but after reading this book, I don't think that I will be an overprotective mom in this category. The author informs the reader of all the chemicals and potential germs that are found in matresses, teething rings, plastic bottles, shopping cart handles, etc. I'm sure these things are accurate and possible a concern, but I can't shelter my child his/her entire life, and there are simply dangers that I'm willing to not worry over. Yikes! How horrible is that?

Let me give you an example:
She talks about how vinyl blinds are bad, because once the sunlight hits the blinds, chemicals deconstruct and go into the air, causing harmful chemicals to be inhaled by us, which later in life causes cancer. Yikes! I have too many other things to worry about; this is not on my list. But i'm sure it's on others', and I admire the time and effort and money they'll put into all of this. But I guess i'm not as big of a hippie as i once thought :).

One thing I really liked about this book was that we need to be simple, not getting caught up in materialism and producing as little waste as we can. And I also got a cool idea of making some of my own baby food, once i have time, and freezing them ice cube trays to thaw out individually when it's meal time. I probably won't do that all the time, but when I do have the time, it's a great idea!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, there is enough to freak out about in parenthood without having to worry about all that! And don't you need some level of germs so your children's defense system is built up?